ALSANA TAKES STRICT PRECAUTIONS TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS)
Alsana Takes Strict Precautions to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus)
DATE: March 5, 2020
FROM: Margherita Mascolo, MD, CEDS-s
Chief Medical Officer at Alsana
SUBJECT: Safety measures for coronavirus.
As you’ve seen in the media, the world is facing an outbreak of a novel coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to severe respiratory diseases; the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) that affected the world a few years ago was also caused by a coronavirus. It is believed that SARS-CoV-2 virus originated in Wuhan China and has now spread to several countries including the US. The disease caused SARS-CoV-2 is called COVID-19.
I’m writing to tell you not to panic. I know words like “pandemic” can be terrifying. However, I want to reassure you that the safety of our clients and staff is our top priority, and measures are already being taken to guarantee everyone’s safety.
Alsana has created a coronavirus task force, which includes members of our leadership team, that is developing implementation, containment, and safety measures so that we will be well prepared to respond to whatever needs, if any, may arise.
We are following the strictest guidelines of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) and meeting with eating disorder industry leaders across the nation to develop best practices for our industry. In addition, we are conducting a series of internal training sessions to educate our staff on what to look for and how to provide treatment for our clients and staff.
For now, in accordance with the CDC, we are abiding by universal precautions:
- Hand washing
- Respiratory hygiene
- Covering coughs and sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Alternatively, coughing or sneezing into your sleeve
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Avoid touching nose, eyes, and mouth
SHARE YOUR STORY
Stories connect us, teach us, make us feel something, and remind us that we are not alone. If you are interested in sharing your story with Alsana, please contact Courtney Morra at COURTNEY.MORRA@ALSANA.COM
All stories are kept anonymous.
Margherita Mascolo, MD, CEDS-s
Chief Medical Officer
We are taking precautions before our clients enter treatment and have added three questions to our pre-admission medical clearance questionnaire:
- Have you traveled outside the US in the last month?
- Have you had a febrile illness in the last 14 days?
- Are you experiencing a cough, runny nose, or sneezing?
I’d like to leave you a few important reminders:
- COVID-19 is mainly spread from person to person (within 6 feet of each other)
- COVID-19 is spread via respiratory droplets (cough or sneeze) and infected people are most contagious when they have symptoms (ex. Fever and cough)
- The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) is 2-14 days
- Prevention is the best method to fight this virus, and the most basic and important thing we can do is to practice universal precautions and strict hand hygiene
- As of today, the flu has a much more significant impact on the US population than COVID-19 does
Again, this is not the time to panic but time to be proactive and prepared.
CONNECT WITH ALSANA TODAY
Our dedicated team is here to help, 24/7. If you have any questions, please call our admissions team at 866-926-5839.
Virtual Treatment Options
Meeting each client where they are on their recovery journey. Virtually.