Bulimia is an eating disorder characterized by periods of bingeing—or excessive overeating— followed by purging.
The cause of bulimia is complex. Many factors play a role in the development of bulimia, including genetics, biology, emotional regulation, behavioral tendencies and environmental influences.
Is Bulimia taking control?
If you or loved one is living with bulimia there is hope for healing.
RECOVERY STARTS HERE
SYMPTOMS OF BULIMIA
Living with an eating disorder affects all aspects of an individual’s physical and mental health
- Preoccupation with weight or weight loss
- Facial and cheek swelling from enlarged glands
- Avoidance of eating in public or in front of others
- Damaged teeth and gums
- Swelling in the hands and feet
- Distorted or negative body image
- Strict dieting or fasting after binge eating
- Sores, scars or calluses on the knuckles or hands
- Fluctuations in weight
- Repeatedly eating unusually large quantities of food in one sitting, especially foods the person would normally avoid